Thursday, February 2, 2012

Appointment Gone Wrong

We started out this afternoon on what should have been a completely routine, non-dramatic trip to the doctor. We were just going in for the doctor to re-check Grayson's ears to make sure they were all healed up after round two of antibiotics for the double ear infection he got on the way home from Christmas at my parents. I didn't see it as an urgent appointment by any means, and in fact we were supposed to go on Tuesday, but I had pushed it back to Thursday after a longer than expected visit to the zoo on Tuesday. So we got to the doctor right on time, but he was running behind, so we had to wait in the lobby for 25 minutes before getting called back. It didn't really bother me, because we weren't really in a hurry, and Grayson found an adorable little girl to play with. They played together pretty much the whole time we waited using the same toys and her boosting him up to look out the window several times. We finally got called back, and the doctor said that Grayson's ears were in fact all clear. Yay! About that time one of his colleagues popped his head in to ask our doctor a question. That has never actually happened before. Anyway, he said he had a patient right now that had a dozen or so raised blisters on her back, but she had received the chickenpox vaccine. As he was describing this situation I became more and more alarmed. They decided that the girl did indeed have a light case of chickenpox. At this point I piped up and described the little girl Grayson had been playing with in the lobby and asked if she was his patient. SHE WAS!! The other doctor quickly darted away while I sat there with a stunned look on my face. I could tell our doctor was wishing the conversation had never happened! He was very reassuring that Grayson only had a 10% chance of getting chickenpox from his interaction from this girl, that if he got it, it would be a light case, and that we'd know 14 days from now! I was not very reassured, but wanted to get out of there! Then, kind of as an afterthought I asked him if he'd just check Addy's ears. She'd been in two weeks earlier for her 9 month and had been fine, but she had had a cold for the last week. She was not happy at all about him looking in her ears and put up a huge fuss. I expected him to say that she was fine, but instead he told me that she now had a double ear infection! Poor baby!! I was definitely shocked at this news since she'd been pretty okay besides a runny nose. I'm so so glad I had him look, or who knows when she would have gotten medicine. Very unexpected turn of events to say the least! The doctor wrote us a prescription for Addy's first antibiotics, and we headed to the lobby to check-out and feed Addy her bottle that was about 15 minutes overdue. At this point I figured we were almost in the clear and was ready to get back home. As we were checking out I asked Grayson a couple of times if he had to go potty, and he said no both times, so we proceeded to find a couple of seats and get the bottle ready. Right about the time I started to feed Addy, Grayson suddenly jumped out of his seat, and it was dripping wet. I absolutely could not believe it. Right there in the middle of the lobby without a single word Grayson had just sat there and peed his pants and all over the chair! He started jumping around whining about being wet and getting new clothes and would not stop. All his antics totally threw Addy off, and she was much more interested in watching what he was doing than in taking her bottle. She ate about 2 oz before I gave up fighting with both of them and retrieved Grayson's back-up clothes from the car. Worst doctor appointment ever!!

No comments: