Friday, April 16, 2010

First Cheerio

Grayson still can't have anything to eat besides formula, but we went to his gastro doctor on Wednesday, and food is coming soon!! Whoo hoo! None of us can wait! He's essentially been blood free for a month and a half now, so the doctor said that he's going to give us a list of foods we can start trying on May 1st! Meanwhile Grayson wants everything we have and does not enjoy it any time David and I sit down to eat. The other morning I was trying to eat breakfast, and he was pitching a fit in his exersaucer. I figured Cheerios were a pretty bland food, and one Cheerio couldn't do any harm. Even though Grayson wants everything we have, he has no idea in the world what to do with it since he's never fed himself or had food in any form other than a bottle. I gave him the first Cheerio, and he played with it forever - examining it, turning it over and over, and transferring it from one hand to the next. Finally he threw it on the floor and Harley gobbled it up! I decided to give him another one, and he immediately threw the next 3 down on the floor to Harley! Harley was getting pretty excited :) Then I figured I would show him what to do with it. All this time he never even got it near his mouth, yet he will lick a door! Crazy! So I got a Cheerio and showed him how I put it in my mouth and chewed it up. He watched intently. I thought we were on the right track! Then I gave him one, and he put it in his mouth, chewed it up, and promptly Gagged and Spit it out! The kid thinks Cheerios are gross! I tried to have David show him how to eat one when he got home, but since then Grayson's not wanted a Cheerio any where near his mouth! Hopefully he'll react better to the next food we try!

1 comment:

ErinW said...

ha ha ha! That is hilarious! Maybe it will just take some time- you have to ease into it.