Thursday, June 28, 2012

La Cucaracha

I will be the first to admit that I have an irrational, paralyzing fear of cockroaches. You could say that they are my Kryptonite. The mere sight of one will send me screaming, and the prospect of having to chase one down and "do away with it" will turn me into a blubbering idiot. Growing up in Montana, I didn't even really know what a cockroach was. This deep fear in me stemmed from my college days in Texas where these six inch long (in my mind) beasts wanted to share the dorms with us, and could fly down the halls or around our rooms. Me and Memphis don't get along in this regard, because it seems to be home to every kind of  terrifying bug. I don't think living in an old house in the woods helps my cause any either. Praise the Lord for David who always takes care of the dirty work for me. Last night was a "perfect storm" of sorts, because David was out of town for work, and I was just getting ready to go upstairs to bed. Imagine my horror when I spotted La Cucaracha practically dancing back and forth across the mantle. My immediate reaction was a stifled scream, so I wouldn't wake up the kids. Then my irrational, paralyzing fear kicked in. I was on the phone with David, who was encouraging me to smack it with a fly swatter. These things can move like lightening, and after missing it four or five times I turned into the blubbering idiot. My imagination had it attaching me, running up my arm, or coming upstairs where I sleep - all completely ridiculous I know. I ended up losing it in the fire place and signing off with David for the night more than a little frazzled. Some time during the night it made its way to the entryway and died, and the sight of it greeted me first thing this morning. There it still lies, feet up in the air, eight hours later, and it will remain there until my Prince comes home tonight to dispose of it!

No comments: